Nail fungus is a persistent, annoying, unpleasant, common nail infection. If left untreated, the infection goes deeper, the nail begins to change color, thicken and crumble at the edge, and may separate from the nail bed. It can spread beyond the feet in people with a compromised immune system. Nail fungus can affect fingernails, but it is more common in toenails. Besides the medical treatment provided by health providers, there is a number of natural remedies for nail fungus. They are inexpensive, easy and you can make them in the comfort of your home.
Here are 3 natural remedies for nail fungus:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar Solution
Apple cider vinegar is known for its anti-fungal properties, among other beneficial properties and uses. An apple cider vinegar soak is ideal for those with a toenail infection, even if it can be done in a similar way for a fingernail.
- Take a bowl of warm water – you can use the temperature of your choice, keeping in mind that it takes at least 15 minutes to soak, so the warm water can cool.
- Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water, sit comfortably and enjoy soaking your feet while you relax. **
- You can gradually increase soaking to up to half an hour. Repeat daily until the infection subsides. Depending on the severity of symptoms you can see improvement after around 2 weeks. It is important to regularly sanitize the footwear as well as the clippers before and after use.
* For more benefit you can make a cup of green tea or tea of your choice and enjoy it.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide has excellent antifungal and antiseptic properties and as such can help treat fungal nail infections. It can also effectively kill the fungus on the surface of the skin of the feet.
There are different ways to use hydrogen peroxide for nail fungus, such as:
- Mixture with water – Mix equal parts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and warm water in a bowl; Soak for 30 minutes, then dry with tissues, instead of a towel, to prevent the spread of the fungus. Repeat until the fungus recedes.
- Mixture with vinegar – Mix equal parts of water and 3% hydrogen peroxide and add 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Soak your feet for 10-15 minutes, then dry with tissues, rather than a towel, to prevent the spread of the fungus. Repeat until the fungus subsides.
- Alternate use – One day use a mixture of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water; On the second day use a mixture of vinegar and water. Repeat until the fungus subsides.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal and antiseptic properties and can be used to treat nail fungus. If you use tea tree oil constantly, you should see results over time. Tea Tree oil is an essential oil that is beneficial for our hair, nails, and hands. The oil is inexpensive and can be applied directly to the affected area.
Tea tree oil can be used directly or in a form of Tea Tree Essential Oil Foot Soak.
- To treat fungal nail infection, apply directly to the affected area; Repeat until the fungus is gone;
- To treat athlete’s foot, dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil, such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, or almond oil, in a ratio 1:10 and apply to the affected area;
- In the form of a Tea Tree Essential Oil Foot Soak use according to the instructions on the package.
Fungal infections are persistent, so the treatment takes longer. Even if treatment is successful, the fungus can return, so it is recommended to carry out the treatment at least for 2 weeks after the fungus has cleared.
- If the symptoms persist, consult your healthcare professional;
- If you have allergic reactions to the treatment, or skin irritation, stop the treatment.
Try These Natural Remedies for Nail Fungus and don’t forget to share this article with your friends!
Looking for more articles like this? Check these out:
- Natural Home Remedies for High Cholesterol Levels
- 3 Natural Home Remedies for Iron Deficiency – Anemia
- Natural Home-Made Remedies for Arthritis
➥ DISCLAIMER: This post is not intended to replace medical treatment. The information provided is for educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice.